Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Punctuation


There is the saying that the U.S. and England are separated by a single language.

We know the familiar ones "Hood/Bonnet, Fall/Autumn, etc.

There are the ones less known in the U.S. like gobsmacked and peckish.

Some are half known like tea can be a complete meal and pudding is any dessert.

Many of the English language books I get are from the U.K. What I notice you don't see much of is a period after abbreviations like Dr, Mr, Mrs, etc.

I was taught that the period meant there was more to come, which is silly because a period is often called a full stop in the U.K.

When Ms was introduced years ago, there was to be no period after it because it wasn't an abbreviation. Now I see it does have a period.

Makes.me.wonder.about.the.use.of.periods.or.full.stops.

No comments: