Sunday, January 15, 2017

Paris

I know it sounds smug and it is, but I don't know how many times I have been to Paris. 50? 60? More?

Enough that I am familiar with landmarks, streets.

When I visited clients in he 90s, I'd arrange appointments Friday and Monday and with a friend explored the museums, landmarks and streets during the weekend.

I've hopped on a train in Geneva to meet friends in the Latin Quarter for lunch and slept in my Swiss bed at night.

I've a friend who lives in Puteaux, which touches La Defense. I've spent time with her just staying in her flat and writing ala Hemingway and Fitzgerald. I began to know some of the merchants and had a taxi cab driver I rode with so often, he wanted his sister to make couscous for me. Time with this friend is always precious. Once upon a time we lived happily across the hall from each other in Geneva. Now we both have husbands but the pleasure is enhanced.

I've even gone to a Jim Haines night. These are famous enough to end up in novels about Paris.

My husband proposed  in front of the Eiffel Tower -- I hate heights or he would have done it at the top.

Never have I taken Paris for granted. Despite greves (strikes--I once joined an artist strike during a lunch break from a workshop) it is still a city where every street has something to see and I've done as much as possible over the years.This last trip this month included two missions.

One was to speak with a group of Expats about FATCA and my novel. We met at Joe Allen's. I'd been to the New York one in the 70s after a Salvation Army commissioning.
About twenty people were there to ask questions and exchange experiences. One of the waiters was from Argelès-sur-mer. I hope we see him next summer.

The second was a panel discussion with two other mystery writers at the American  Library. I was in paradise among all those books and periodicals. The event was extremely well organized, the audience interested and it was a pleasure to share the table with others.

For a girl raised in Reading, MA with a mother who believed if you went more than two towns away you would fall of the edge of the earth, I still need to pinch myself that this is the life I am living now.

I didn't fall off the edge of the earth. I fell into happiness.



No comments: