Tuesday, December 20, 2016

kids

I'll never be a grandmother.

Although I would have liked to be, to have my daughter produce grandchildren on another continent that I might see every two years, well that's a lot to ask of her.

However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying other peoples' kids and their stories.

Example 1
One little girl, who at five was speaking three languages, has always been adorable. When visiting at three, she grabbed something off the table and her mother, who is a stickler for manners did the "why it is good to share" lecture.

The girl headed toward the stairs. "I'm going to my room and think about sharing."

She was back a half of cup of tea later. "I've thought about sharing," she said. "I don't want to."

Example 2
The same little girl had her mother worried because the child was sticking pins in her dolls. Images of voodoo abounded UNTIL the mother learned the child was practicing acupuncture on her doll.

Example 3
A four-year old, also bilingual, although that has nothing to do with it, is convinced that taking a bath gives him supernatural powers.

Example 4
The same four-year old believes that putting body lotion on keeps the bad dinosaurs away. I suspect the mother of handing out propaganda on this believing dinosaur protection is more interesting than preventing dry sky.

She also has had little trouble to get her kids to eat anything because she fed them grownup food from the start and has them cooking with her. If the kid cooks it, he is more apt to eat it.

Example 5
Two little boys are no longer afraid of monsters under the bed once their mother put up a "No Monsters Allowed" sign on their flat door.

Example 6
Mother: I don't want to hear another word out of you tonight.
Small girl: I love you

No comments: