Saturday, October 01, 2016

Little Johnny

To say I was devastated when my ex husband left shortly after my daughter's birth, would be an understatement.

Women friends who were part of our couple society forgot me for events. Some were afraid perhaps I would steal their husbands, and in a couple of cases, their husbands had been more than happy to fix things around my house including my desires. Needless to say, I refused.

Weekends were the worst. If I were not without adult company, the person who did visit had been deserted by her husband (she was better off with out the jerk). Her bitterness did nothing to help me feel better.

In August, I decided to try a singles night. The daughter of one my co-workers was going to baby sit and stay the weekend.

I almost chickened out before entering the hall and again after entering. People stood around holding drinks trying to looking interesting and interested. 

After taking a deep breath, I started talking to people. I hadn't been single since high school, twelve years before.

With a few minutes, a man glomed onto me. He was probably ten years older than I was, not bad looking, good build. He bought me a drink and we sat at a table for two.

He talked and talked and talked and talked and  . . .

He said nothing interesting.

I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I couldn't think of way to escape and meet anyone else. I didn't even want to meet anyone else. Lonely weekends were looking pretty good if this was the alternative.

The talk moved to the idea that he would like to take me to bed.

"I'm sorry." I looked at my watch. "My baby sitter can only stay until ten."

He offered alternatives including going home with me.

"My attorney says being seen with a man is a bad idea until the divorce."

This he understood as he gazed around the room probably looking for some one else. Then he took my hand in both of his.

"I want you to remember one thing."

I tilted my head.

"On a hot August night Little Johnny liked you."

I drove home. The baby sitter stayed the weekend and it was the beginning of a long friendship. We played games, took a drive, played with the baby. Best weekend I'd had for over a year.

Some five decades later I wonder what happened to Little Johnny, if he is even alive. Did he meet a Little Janie?

And a part of me resents that he was right. I did remember that on a hot August night Little Johnny liked me.

No comments: