Saturday, September 10, 2016

Where is Emil?

As long as I can remember this painting has been on the door of a garden on the way to the beach. The subject was in Catalan costume drinking from the traditional Catalan bottle in the traditional manner. The mountains, sea and church tower all screamed local Catalan scenery.

Periodically the painting was refreshed by Emil, the artist.

He was almost a caricature of a Catalan man, dressed in blue with his beret. He sat across the street on a bench almost every day. In later years his hands rested on a cane.

Other people would sit next to him and talk.

As my French improved I chatted to him although our different accents made it a struggle for both of us, but he was always smiley, always made the effort to understand and be understood.

I haven't seen him for a while. I am hoping sometime when I walk by Emil's bench, I will see one of his friends and can ask.

But part of me doesn't want to know if it is bad news.

No comments: