Thursday, September 08, 2016

The quilt

When I was a little girl, I had a red dress with a black dog.

My grandmother "Dar" used a tiny square as the start of a quilt with a rainbow pattern alternating squares of solid color and pattern and dark and light.

Every stitch was done by hand much of it when she barely had any eye sight at all. She finished it when I was in university.

I treasure it, but time has worn some of the fabric.

There is a retouch person in town. He told me if I could find fabric he would replace the worn pieces.

I know I won't get the identical pieces, but I am on a fabric safari.

I became the woman I am because of Dar who will always be my moral compass, my role model for courage even 47 years after her death.

She is not my sewing role model. Thank goodness for the man who will be able to make the repairs.


No comments: