Sunday, September 25, 2016

Days



I have lived 27,010 days or approximately 648,240 hours.



What have I done with them?



In the beginning everything was done to and for me.



Eventually I had great accomplishments leading to autonomy, such as tying my shoe laces and learning to read thus opening the world to me.



I wish I could say none of those days were sad, but it isn’t true. One doesn’t live that long without loss and at least 1,000 days, well over three years over time I mourned the death of my marriage, my dad, Mardy, Barbara, my stepmom and others. 

The pain wasn’t constant, sometimes it came in fleeting moments when I wished there was something I could tell or show them something.



On the other hand, the wonderful things those I lost brought into my life far outweighed the sad days.


Even if I had to fight through university, those days left me alive intellectually.


Then there were the years spent at work. Most left me neutral (dry cleaners to pay for college, IEC to have a salary). And there were those jobs I could hardly wait to get to such as Polaroid and Digital Credit Unions).


Only two jobs did I hate. One was for a stamp company and that lasted only about three months. My first job in Switzerland took from my life for a total of 812 days but at the same time it gave me my residence permit and I made some lifelong friends. Can’t call those days wasted at all. The bad made the good better.



And there have been times of illness such as the normal measles, mumps and flu. There was too much time spent recovering from cancer, but even that wasn’t wasted thanks to my husband who did everything for me including briefing me on the end of Midsomer Murders when I fell asleep half way thru.


How many years have I spent writing?

No idea. It doesn't matter. Even when fighting over a word, a sentence I loved doing it.

I cannot measure in time the pleasure spent:


  • Curled up with a book
  • Watching a play, movie, TV show, ballet
  • Being with friends
  • Having a daughter
  • Discovering marriage could be not just a good but a great thing
  • Walking allowing me time to observe
  • Discovering a flower in a sidewalk and other beauty surprises
  • Sharing with others

 The list could go on, and on, and on, and…


Much of the reason my life has been so good is an accident of my birth in a good time, good place to good people.



If I lived another 3,650 days, not that I’m predicting my death for 25 Sept. 2026, how would I use them?



Hopefully, I would use them the same way I used the days in the past to savor the moments I’ve been given. It is a gift too precious to waste.

No comments: