Monday, February 23, 2015

TCK Kids and Adults "Home is Here"

My mysteries feature a TCK heroine, Annie Young-Perret.

TCK stands for Third Culture Kid, a term describing a person whose roots are in one culture but has moved to another and thus is part of neither 100% and forms a third.

I'm currently reviewing a book, The Words Within for Summertime Publishing which includes poems, stories and drawings by TCKs of many ages.

I think of myself as a TCK, or maybe a TCA, Third Culture Adult. My New England roots go deep into my soul, but I've lived in Europe almost a third of my life. I'm a composite neither totally a New England Yankee or a Swiss.

I can look into some one's eyes when I toast or not, keep my hand in lap or on the table during dinner, do a hug, two-cheek kisses, or three.

I sometimes find comfort with other TCAs such as my friend J who is also part of both worlds. I love Veronica Ferauge and her blog The Franco-American flophouse. She may actually be a Fourth Culture Adult. An American who lived in France for years with her French husband and children (Frenchlings) she now finds herself in Japan.

The beginning of the book I'm reviewing says, "Home is Here" and that is true. Home is where I am. New roots are added to old nourishing the plant I call me.




1 comment:

Maria said...

I was born in Spain, grew up in Boston, and am now living in Spain. I feel more American than Spanish, though I understand both cultures. Though after living here for over twenty years I think I would miss it if I moved back to the States. Truly home is where the heart is. And home can be many places.