Wednesday, February 04, 2015

I'm angry beyond description

"Not in 30 minutes, not in 30 years," the consular official told me on the horrible day that I had to renounce my nationality. Those exact words were engraved on my brain. I had to fight crying.

Had to?

My banks were closing in with threats to close my account for the sin of being American, thanks to the US FATCA legislation. Being a dual didn't help. I was born in America and banks were not willing to pay the huge fines if they did not report every American account to the IRS. My puny account wasn't worth the risk to them.

I'd had to wait several months to renounce, several months to consider alternatives.

"Your decision to renounce is irrevocable," he said.

Irrevocable.

Like death of a loved one.

Like learning your parents aren't really your parents.

Like having your house burn to the ground with all your photos inside.

Like discovering your husband has three other wives and no divorces.

This morning we were in bed reading, tea at our bedside.

"It's a myth,"Rick said. He was reading the International Tax Code. It said renounced citizens have the same right to become a US citizen as any other applicant. There were a couple of caveats, but I didn't fall into those categories.


From page 51 of the attached PDF
"Myths About Renouncing U.S. Citizenship
There are many misunderstandings of how the law works when someone renounces U.S. citizenship.
The author regularly hears a range of myths that will befall an 'Accidental American' when and if, they
renounce." Here's the one on renunciation and I've thrown in re-entry because that is worry in case I need to see my daughter.
Myth: Former U.S. citizens will not be allowed to enter into the United States; i.e., will be barred
from re-entry at a point of entry by a U.S. immigration officer.
 
Fact: Former U.S. citizens are generally entitled to any visa status, the same as any other non-
U.S. citizen. (Legislation proposed by Chuck Schurmer D. Sen. NY, never got out of committee)
 
Myth: Former U.S. citizens will not be allowed to ever re-obtain citizenship.
 
Fact: Former U.S. citizens are generally entitled to U.S. citizen status, the same as any other non-U.S.
citizen. Importantly, U.S. citizenship may simply not be available to any particular non-U.S. citizen,
depending upon the particular circumstances.


That is far different as not a chance as a snowball in hell.

Angry doesn't begin to describe being lied to about taking one of the most important decisions of my life.


No comments: