Thursday, January 29, 2015

I threw away a book

We have limited shelf space and we are heavy readers and yes we have a Kindle.

Prior to Barbara's death her bookshop was a constant supply of books from junk to literary reading.

They were also a place to take read books.

That no longer exists. Some books are easy to dispose of because I know who else will read them, but some will only collect dust on my shelf for all time. Thus...the trash.

In Geneva, I use the library...no worry about storage except for a few I really want to keep (not library books but those I have purchased.)

My grandfather had a reverence for books. New books were opened page by page with him running his finger down the inner spine, page by page. Bookmarks only. Thou shall not mark thy place by turning a corner of page was his 11th commandment.

Once when he hurt my feelings, my revenge was to tear a page out of one of his books (read) and then put it back on the shelf. He never found out unless in some celestial library he's reading this blog.

The trash isn't picked up until tomorrow morning. I've about 21 hours to change my mind and retrieve the book.

Note: I wrote the above yesterday. Rick found he books and pulled them out. 

Sigh.



No comments: