Friday, January 09, 2015

Argelès almost by night

It's 18:30 and I go out to do some last minute errands before the shops close at 19:00. The sky behind the church is a brilliant rose.
The lights are on still at the jewelers. All the tables at La Noisette were filled at noon, but now people are more interested in getting home. Inside Sophie sweeps the floor.

There is the smell of smoke from fireplaces in the air.

The doors of the 13th century church are opened and a woman with a cane walks in to do a last minute prayer.

At the pharmacy I pick up my prescription, dash into Chez Elisabeth for veggies for tomorrow's lunch as the displays of fruits and vegetables on the sidewalk are being wheeled in.

I stop at a friend's new home to admire her good fortune.

It's almost night in Argelès and I head home to my own cozy flat.

No comments: