Saturday, December 27, 2014

We salvaged Christmas

Once Llara was safe, we were still whipped so we decided Christmas would be changed to Saturday. Our good friends had fed us Christmas Eve and Day. We would have been incapable of preparing anything holidayish much less getting it together to be a host and hostess.

We will entertain one couple on Saturday, one later in the month. Meanwhile we put up the tree late Christmas day with the ornaments Llara and I made when she was three and the "animals." It felt right.


 The village boulangerie was amusingly decorated and not only was there a bûche de noël left, it was CHOCOLATE!!!


 Christmas trees lined the main street of the village each with a unique set of decoration.


Saturday morning we took our tea and presents and opened them under the warmth of the covers while the house heated up.
And my wonderful husband gave me another present when he made the bed (not that he made it because he often does) but that he turned our red blanket into a giant candy can. Creativity is a greater gift than any material thing.

I had told Llara I wanted this to be a memorable Christmas. It was but not in the way we planned. Still I am so proud of my daughter on how she handled the situation and I have nothing but deep gratitude to Julia and Rick for their support and love and maybe, these people in my life are the best Christmas present of all.

No comments: