Tuesday, November 04, 2014

The trip down


Once again--and I wouldn't even begin to guess at the number of train trips between my Geneva and Argeles homes that I have made in my lifetime--we made it door to door.

Unlike many trips the three trains were all on time. The Swiss should run all train systems where a late train can make the newspaper vs. the systems where schedules are suggestions. At least other countries have train systems.

The middle leg, Lyon to Perpignan, with the train's final destination being Barcelona, had an interesting number system. It was double. Also, the seats behind us were 1C and 1 D also 13 and 14. In front of us 3C and 3D and 33 and 44. Singles? Tens?

Since the train was run by both the French and Spanish systems, I assumed no compromise could be reached on the numbering system...or they planned to put two people in each seat.

A young man came up to me. He was in seat 23, my seat...However his ticket was for car 7 and I was in car 8. There was no seat 23 in car 7. No problem. The train wasn't even half full.

I do remember the time I had reserved a bed for the Paris Argeles night run in car 11. Only there was no car 11. The conductor was snotty and told me of course there was...marched off with me running behind her for her to discover, I was right. I may have sat up all night, but the SNCF did issue me a free ticket for my next trip.

In Nimes, there were two flocks of birds swarming, each staking out territory in a huge tree.

"I wonder how many there are?" I asked Rick.

"471 no make the 472, I missed one," he said.

No matter his mythical count nor Hitchcockian films it was fascinating to watch until our train pulled out of the station,


The sun winked goodnight to us as we passed Narbonne

We made it with much too much luggage (Llara you owe Rick bigtime for taking that suitcase of yours.

It was great to be back. What a surprise to find our patio's flowers were in full bloom and food provided for neighbours so we'd have something to nibble in case of extreme hunger.

Life is good, very, very good.





No comments: