Monday, October 20, 2014

To mend or not to mend



These PJ bottoms are at least 15 years old. The waist band is separated for about an inch from the material below the elastic (fixable). The cuffs are frayed and a repaired tear in the crotch seam is barely holding. The yellow top long ago disintegrated as did the matching slippers.

To mend or not to mend, that is a question Hamlet might not ask, but I am.

I have newer and prettier PJs.

Why would I want to save them for just a little longer?

They hold a memory. They were a gift from Air France.

I was flying business class from Geneva to Toronto for my company. Because I had meetings early in  the morning immediately after landing, I was allowed the luxury of business class so I would be fresh (at least in theory) to deal with the problems I was about to encounter.

I wanted to make sure that I had an aisle seat--between my slight claustrophobia and my need to use the WC an aisle is better for everyone.

"You will be happy with your seat," the airline staffer told me.

I debated pushing for an answer that I was guaranteed the aisle, but didn't.

As soon as I entered the plane, I was happy that I hadn't pushed. They had upgraded me to first class.

Thus I dined on foie gras while sipping champagne for the apèro, enjoyed my rare lamb chops served with a crisp salad and haricot verts and a seasoned rice.

My gift bag included the normal toiletries, eye shade, ear phones, but it also included the PJs and slippers.

Every time I've worn them over the last decade and a half, I remember that sometimes it is better NOT to protest.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I'd mend - you are mending a happy memory and if a few stitches gives you the opportunity to enjoy it for a little longer, it seems worth the effort.