Monday, October 27, 2014

I knew from the subject line

"News about Janette"

The email was from my friend Barbara.

Janette was a neighbour and if she stood 4 foot 11, it would be a miracle. Born in Italy, she married a Frenchman and during WWII and after worked in Haute Couture in Paris. She and her late husband retired to Argelès a few years back.

Janette walked all over town and was always dressed immaculately and stylishly. Her white hair shone.

She would sit with the other women and chat and she was always a joy to talk to. Sometimes she'd talk about Paris, sometimes her grandchildren.

She encouraged my French.

If there was a street dance or festival, she was always there.

During the marchés on Saturdays and Wednesdays she would shop for the best veggies.

Once when I walked by the cemetery, she was just coming out after putting flowers on her husband's grave. "Let me buy you a beer," she said.

We went to La Noisette, but when it was time to pay, she realised she didn't have enough money.

"I'll just pop around to the ATM machine," she said and was gone and back before I could reach for my own wallett.

Her 100th birthday was three years ago. She still lived at home then. Her son-in-law took care of her along with his ailing wife, Janette's daughter. Or maybe she took care of them all.

Six months ago she retired to a nursing home.

She held a big party, said she was tired afterwards, went to bed and didn't wake up - -  a good death for a good lady.

No comments: