Monday, September 08, 2014

When clowns are sad




The clown stood in front of the UBS at Eaux Vives, saying "Bonjour, bonjour," to passers-by as they went in to withdraw money from the ATM machines and pay their bills on the Multimat (Switzerland gave up cheques decades ago).

There were only a few coins in his hat.

I didn't ask to take his photo, although I wanted to.

I did add to his coin collection.

The bank clown was missing a couple of teeth. The cartoon clown above is far more jolly. Despite the clown's cheery tone, he had an aura of desperation.

I couldn't help but wonder what brought him to a stage in life where he dressed as a clown and stood outside a bank hoping for lose change. Yet at the same time he still was "earning" his living by offering himself as entertainment rather than just begging.

Perhaps that gave him a sense of pride. I hope so.
 

No comments: