Friday, September 12, 2014

Onion Soup in Paris X2

The onion soup advertised in the restaurant along the Champs-Elysée seemed tempting. Enough to starve off his hunger and not enough to stuff me so soon after I'd eaten breakfast. 

We wanted to save room as well for the Syrian food from our hostess that evening.

I was reminded of the time I took Llara to Paris at age nine. It was time for her to learn more about the world than just the East Coast US.

We walking down the Champs-Elysée. The day before she wanted to eat at McDonald's. I'd given in only so she could see the differences. That day was my choice. 

She ordered the onion soup. When it arrived, she commented that our housemate Bill's was better. She was right.

However, the soup Rick and I had was almost as good as his.

Here's his recipe.

4 large white onions
olive oil
ginger
flour
1 quart of beef bouillon
mozzarella 
thin sliced french bread toasted or made into croutons

Saute the onions in olive oil until transparent, sprinkle with flour and ginger, add the bouillon and simmer for a half and hour. Serve in bowls with croutons and the shredded mozzarella.

There are more elaborate methods but this is quick and easy.

 

No comments: