Saturday, September 06, 2014

Food progress

All couples need to adjust their habits when they move in together. With Rick and me it has been mega simple with one exception. 

FOOD

I grew up in a household where my grandmother was a super plain New England Yankee cook, my mother was a gourmet cook.


My grandfather had a garden. I never ate a bought vegetable until he died.

Food was discussed in great detail: tastes, smells and anticipation of the next treat. New recipes were sought and the trial looked forward to.

Food was memory of events, silly moments, sad times. "The recipe came from Aunt Lettie at Archer's funeral" would not be an unusual story when the dish was served again.

Rick's experience was different where meals were more routine. Eating to live, not living to eat. He is the first to admit he was a fussy eater.

I remember when we met almost four decades ago in Missouri, he looked in horror when I ordered catfish, which I had never tried, but I wasn't about to pass up a chance to try a regional dish.

Now living in France and Switzerland, where quality meals are an important part of the culture, he has become much more adventurous. 

He had even started cooking and is doing well, very well. 

He isn't always thrilled with the new dishes (unless it was from the restaurant Bartavelle--who has been known to produce a meat dish just for him when they don't think he'll like the fish on offer). Others he has taken to with relish (the verb, not the kind in a jar.)

The other thing Rick never considered was nutrition. His junk food in a week equaled the amount I would eat in a year. Chocolate isn't junk good, it's a salad because it comes from a plant and popcorn can be classified as a veggie (okay, that's maybe a bit of denial, but no one is perfect.) I indulge in both.

I would eat the junk if it is around and he does hide things like chips(crisps) so his weak-willed wife won't give into temptation.


I'm well aware of trying to get all vitamins and minerals in over the course of maybe three or four days. It's so easy with all the local produce: Carrots, beans, artichokes, tomatoes that taste like tomatoes, celery, onions, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, kohlrabi, melons, figs, nectarines, peaches, apples,grapes, kakis, berries of all types.

He is getting used to three or four veggies and/or fruit as part of our mealtimes. 

He used to me going into culinary orgasms at a delicious anything. 

Now I'm home in Geneva and he's own his own in Argelès.

He confessed that he was planning a meal of chips(crisps) or maybe fries and hamburgers. Then he found himself thinking about did he have and veggies and fruits.

Progress. 

I didn't ask if he bought any of the good healthy stuff.

No comments: