Friday, August 15, 2014

The cupboard was bare

ON Marché days, Wednesday and Saturday, we make it a point to go to La Noisette for breakfast be it a simple croissants or one of their English breakfasts. Often we run into friends. 

During the summer the streets are crowded. Laurent, the La Noisette owner, serves lunches, said that the Saturday before last instead of his normal 15 meals, he served 84. 


We watch people stroll by as they look at the clothing, flowers, veggies, sausages, roasting chickens, cheeses, olives, books, shoes, games, etc. 

We also make some purchases: Catherine, The Brownie Lady, is a must stop. She also has great savory tarts. I used to buy more olives, but Rick isn't an olive fan, which shouldn't stop me. I still chat with Joël, the olive seller, who usually kisses my hand. With Rick there and his girl friend there, he flirts less, but that doesn't stop a wink or to.

Rainy days, the marché doesn't open, but Saturday, after all the merchants were set up, the sunshine gave way to thunder claps followed by a mini shower.

The vendors rushed to cover their wares. The rain lasted less than five minutes.


The traffic picked up as we bought all the things we needed: broccoli, green beans, onions, melon, bananas, tomatoes, pepper, eggs. Having been in Geneva the cupboard was bare

1 comment:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I so envy you living abroad. I feel as though I've been in Ohio a hundred years and nothing has changed. I'm hoping to get more settled in the coming months, I may be moving, and then I'd like to travel. Maybe not abroad but at least away from my humdrum state. Love hearing of your adventures and the markets, purchases, etc. Yes, who could ignore the Brownie Lady!!! Hugs, Barb
Newest short story on Amazon: Dear Anne: Love Letters from Nam.