Friday, August 01, 2014

Taking it seriously but with fun

August 1 is the Swiss National Day. The country began in 1291 with three cantons and one by one others joined. Geneva has only been part of Switzerland for the last two hundred years.


Traditions are important. The horn players are an example. (The first time I saw these instruments was with the Boston Pops. Little did I know then that one day I would not only live in Switzerland, it would become my country.)


People decorate their houses with cantonal flags.

My housemate has for years, long before I knew her, held an open house. She provides some food, people bring food and for a few hours people of many different nationalities wander in and out, share conversation, laugh and enjoy the day.
This year with the help of number 2 son (The Guacamole King), Rick and M preparations were the easiest I've seen in the many years I've been part of the celebration.

The table is set with Swiss motif dishes and napkins. All kinds of nibbles are prepared just in case no one brings anything. Of course everyone does. We could feed the Swiss army should they drop in the day after with the leftovers. People can eat in the winter garden or the garden-garden. We were lucky this year that it wasn't as hot as in 2013 where panting was about the only way to stay cool.



The day ended with fireworks over the lake. We could see two communities fireworks, but one of our neighbours arranged a half hour display off a barge in the lake. Having worked for the National Fire Protection Association and knowing how fireworks are forbidden from personal use in many places in the States it took me a few years to adjust to them being sold in ordinary stores and kids playing with them.



I still consider myself so lucky, that I was granted Swiss nationality. My country is far from perfect but it works more than it doesn't, which is probably the most anyone can hope for in this world. For me that is a reason to celebrate.






No comments: