Thursday, August 21, 2014

Buttons




A few years back I had an uncontrollable urge to knit baby sweaters. I didn't even KNOW anyone who was pregnant. I graduated to little kids sweaters. The designs I made up had dinosaurs, penguins, a school house, flowers, patchwork, etc. I was turning one out every few days the entire summer. 

Needles clicked furiously while I watched television. I watched more television than normal just so I could finish a sleeve, a back...

What fascinated me most were the buttons from the yarn store in Argelès. I've never seen as many original designs. My favourite packet had back to school items: a ruler, apple, notebook, etc.

The knitting frenzy passed, but I still love the buttons.

Taking this photo was a challenge. The owner of the shop and I still chat, and she encouraged me to take the photos.

However there was a client in the shop at the time looking at the buttons. She went through the racks once, twice, three times. She touched each packet, looked behind all packets.

Five, ten minutes passed. The woman was still fingering the buttons multiple times. Rick went outside to people watch not lady-fingering-buttons watch.

At 15 minutes I gave up.

We had tea at La Noisette. I came back. The lady was gone. I caught the photos. I wanted to ask my friend if the woman bought any, but resisted.

Oh...and all those sweaters? I finally found people with children, plus the local charity shop to give them to.




    No comments: