Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pluck and Plunk Pleasures



I know it's dumb when I think
  • there are 41 wars being fought around the world
  • thousands have had their water cut off in Detroit
  • farmers are losing their crops to drought in many places
  • Ebola is rampant
  • children are being hated and frightened along the US border
Maybe this is why something this simple makes me happy.

In the 80s when my daughter and I lived on The Riverway in Boston she disliked taking the garbage out less than emptying the dishwasher.

I disliked emptying the dishwasher less than taking out the garbage.

It was a no brainer who would do which chore.

I had a system for the silverware. Everything alike would go in the same tray. Thus in two motions I could:
  • Pluck up all the forks
  • Plunk put them in the fork place
  • Pluck pick up all the knives
  • Plunk put them in the knife place
  • Pluck pick up all the spoons
  • Plunk them in the spoon place etc.
Silly yes, but since then when I've never been able to find anyone who understands. I wouldn't say Rick understands, but he humors me.

So while I pluck and plunk, I'm also grateful I
  • don't live in a war zone
  • have running water
  • have no shortage of good fresh foord
  • don't live near an Ebola outbreak
  • my child is safe
So plucking and plunking is pretty shallow, but I enjoy it anyway.


No comments: