Wednesday, June 25, 2014

This message brought to you by the letter R




Rick has a certain look that he gives me when he doesn't understand what I said, but he's sure things will be clarified.

He'd heard "I stopped to chat with the Yan woman."

He hadn't met any Chinese in Argelès.

It became clear when I'd added, "I used to see her every week when I was knitting a baby sweater a week." (Don't ask why I gave into a craze to create new baby sweater after new baby sweater--I don't know why either and it passed).

He translated Boston "yan" into normal English "yarn" and the uncertain look was replaced with his I get it now look.

By now he should know that even former Bostonians don't do the letter "R".

My New England accent is definitely still there. 

With apologies to Sesame Street, this message is brought to you by the letter R or rather the missing letter R.




2 comments:

Seville at Nerissa's Life said...

I hear ya!

My Peep #2 says the word 'area' and tacks an 'r' onto the end. Area is not spelled, arear, if you know what I mean.

Purrs,
Nissy

Susanne said...

I thought Bostonians had just replaced r with h. As in "pahk your cah in Hahvid Yahd"