Sunday, June 22, 2014

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

 See this Train.
See the track that takes the TGV to Strasbourg.

I wasn't at/on either Sunday night.

For months I'd been planning to meet up with a college friend. For three years we were intellectual companions, often studying for exams together. 

As a francophone she helped me through a French IV course, modern French Drama, despite my earlier French classes with a professor who somehow managed to cover 10 pages in a year, but boy did we learn about his private life.

At Lowell University, English majors took most of their courses together. She married another classmate.

We both produced daughters about the same time but then life happened and we drifted apart.

Thanks to the internet we found each other and began emailing to find that our interests converged. Because the couple were travelling in France, Rick and I were to join them in Strasbourg.

I was really looking forward to it.

Not so fast. France had one of their train strikes. Each day we hoped it would end and it is ending, but the train we would have taken is still not running.

 Rick waits in line for a refund.
Although it is blurred it shows our train is supprime...cancelled...sigh.

We'll have another chance in September when I'm in the Boston area. 

I suppose the only good thing, I won't have to reveal my terrible French accent to her -- yet.





No comments: