Thursday, June 19, 2014

I don't bake



I don't usually bake. I don't have to. I've lived with wonderful bakers. Julia will let the word brownies of cookies fall from her lips and like Pavlov's dog, saliva spouts from my mouth.

My daughter Llara was a great baker. The only reason I say was is that she is now on the other side of the ocean, so I have no idea what is coming from her kitchen.

And in Argelès we have great pastry for sale at the boulangeries, not to mention the Brownie Lady at the marché every Wed. and Sat.

Thus when a recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip cake turned up on Rick's FB page, I thought I'd make it. I did and it is even better than it sounds. And yes a piece was sampled before the photo could be taken.



Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
The original recipe is loaded with butter and sugar. To maintain the great taste I’ve kept the original portion of butter but greatly reduced the sugar. I also replaced some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 medium rip bananas
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking power
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Cream together butter and sugar.
  2. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
  3. Add vanilla and bananas; mix until smooth.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to banana mixture alternately with sour cream, ending with dry ingredients.
  5. Spread half the batter into a 9 x 13 baking pan.
  6. Combine cinnamon and brown sugar.
  7. Sprinkle half of the mixture over the batter in pan.
  8. Top with half of the chocolate chips.
  9. Repeat layers. Bake in preheated 350F/176C oven.
  10. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

3 comments:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

The cake looks delicious. Thought of making it but decided I'd eat it ALL. Too much for me now that I have no one to share it with. Would love to live in a place where a bakery stood on every corner. AND the pastries were good. Here, not so much.
Thanks for putting this on. You did a great job making it. Makes my mouth water too.

Unknown said...

I used to be able to eat wonderful cakes like this and it's a real gift to be able to bake. Looks delicious!

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

I will have to make this today!