Wednesday, January 15, 2014

We brought it home

 I've loved Miloud's work for years. An artist from the Middle East living in Argelès for as long as I can remember, I can greet him with my few words of Arabic although after I ask him how he is is, I don't understand his reply.

We switch to French quickly.

His souk is in his home. His styles are varied as his imagination.

I had looked at his painting of three women in burkas painted on burlap for months before deciding to buy it. Installments were made and today was the final one.

Even as a person who is shopping phobic buying art from the artist to me isn't shopping. Especially if Miloud throws in a cup of Arabic coffee and conversation.

The painting will hang in the snore room where I'll wonder what the women on the camel are thinking, where are they going, are they married, how do their husbands treat them, do they have children.

I don't need to know the answers. I'm a writer. I can make them up.


1 comment:

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

Art and a cup of Arabic coffee and conversation! Sounds Wonderful!