Thursday, January 09, 2014

Colour Freak



I'm a colour freak. I love bright in-your-face colours that make my heart pump faster and my eyes twinkle with joy. They don't have to all be bright. In Geneva I love the soft dusty rose in my bedroom. Colour excites me.

In Geneva I saw a Smart car that was totally painted in thin stripes of rose, aqua and blue that I would have loved if I wanted a car. My housemate mumbled something about not being caught dead in it, but I felt why have a car like everyone else? Think how easy it would be to identify in a row of cars that were all the same colour but mine. And would a thief want to take a car so easily identifiable? (owning a car or not owning a car is a blog for another day)

The flat Rick and I are renting is very Scandinavian in its use of colour and design. Besides the incredibly original art work decorating the rooms,  I love the use of red. The bedroom with its 400 year old stone walls opens onto a patio making the room seem larger. The curtains and rug are red but the walls and bed spread are boring, boring, boring white. My housemate cautioned, and rightly so, as I was looking for a red duvet/pillow set that too much red would be over powering in the small place. The few sets that I might have liked were much too expensive.

On the marché we found a red fuzzy throw, just the right amount of accent and a fraction of the price of a duvet/pillow case. It will be good to wrap ourselves up in as we watch DVDs on chilly nights. Best of all, tt meets all three of my criteria for buying something when only one is necessary...

1. Useful
2. Attractive
3. Comes with a memory

And the red makes my eyes happy every time I enter the room.




1 comment:

Susanne said...

"Think how easy it would be to identify in a row of cars"

But you can't find Smart cars in rows of cars - they are so short, they hide! For us drivers they are the bane of our lives - you think you've found a space and are half way into it before you realise it is occupied!