Wednesday, December 25, 2013

She WOULD have blogged if she could have

My mother was a journalist and a talented writer. Had she been alive today she would have become a blogger.

Even in retirement she had regular newspaper columns such as Stove Stories and Going like 60.

When I took out my Christmas ornaments I found this column (have no idea why it was there, but it may say something about my filing and organizational systems or lack thereof.)

I thought I'd give Dorothy Sargent Boudreau her first blog. If  I ever find the rest of her writing I'd be tempted to blog those too.

HER MOTHER LIVES ON IN FAMILY MEMORIES

It's just six days away and I'll have mixed emotions on Mother's Day as both mother and daughter.

In the latter role, the 1970 observance found me in tears. It was too soon after my mother's death and I had months to go before accepting this with any degree of equanimity. Now, after all these 18 years, I can look back at the happy time, the sad times and sift through the memories and hold on to those I cherish most.

I expect both my children and one of my two grandchildren (Kimmie-B the 9-week old) to be here this Mother's Day. Nineteen-year-old Llara, still in Munich, is expected stateside in July. I'll be counting the days until there's a definite date for her return.

I'm sure we'll talk about my mother, "Dar" as she was called by her grandchildren, their friends and mine.

My son, no doubt, will recount the cupcake tale once more. And he'll admit to feeling guilty, even now 35 years after the incident.

J. in a fit of frustration and only 4 at the time, had bitten his grandmother because she couldn't believe his 11-year-old sister devoured his last chocolate-sauced cupcake.

Daughter Donna will remember the steady flow of letters Dar wrote to her after she eloped with her high school sweethears and lived in Stuttgart for two years. I think mother was a frustrated novelist, for she wrote effortlessly filled with nuggets of news interspersed with love and humor.

As for me, I may just ask J. to bring the only tape we have with mother's voice.

Some 10 years ago he played it for me most reluctantly.

"You'll only cry, mother," He said at the time.

I insisted that I wouldn't and with great emotional control, I didn't. He was teary-eyed.

I've just finished finalizing Sunday's plans with Donna. I didn't mention the tape, but she mentioned a memory.

You'll have Dar's cupcakes and chocolate sauce for dessert?" she asked.

Of course, I will.

No comments: