Thursday, December 05, 2013

Edinburgh and Boston from an arm chair

I was so excited to see the latest in the Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series at the library I grabbed it and read it through almost in one sitting...


I love Bertie's battles with his OCD mother, Cyril the dog with his gold tooth, Big Lou, and how Matthew and Elsbeth are coping with the triplets. Will their au paar's au paar end up finding a Scottish husband? Not to mention Angus and blue spode cups and the Italian nun whose book of the obvious is set to be published. And there's always a smattering of real life writers who walk through the pages.

Mostly I love the feeling of visiting Edinburgh. I can imagine the taste of Irn Bru, smile as the characters talk about the problems with the tram, picture Princes Street. When they mention Napier University, I think of my daughter's graduation and the tent with the champagne on the lawn. I almost feel as if I can go to quiz night at Carter's with my daughter or have a healthy sandwich at Milk, the later two not mentioned in the book.

McCall Smith puts out one of these a year. I will have to wait until late 2014 before I know if Bertie's mother is released by the Bedouin chief who is impressed that when she organized a book club among his wives, the amount of dissatisfaction went down and will Stuart realize that his second son isn't his son. 

In the same way the Robert Parker Spenser mysteries lets me visit Boston. I can "see" the Indian in front of the Museum of Fine Arts, walk down Comm Ave, etc.

All from my arm chair, the bus, train or bed...wherever I've a few minutes to read.

What a treat.


No comments: