Thursday, November 07, 2013

Shopping as a joy

Yes, shopping phobic-me wrote this.

Everything I did was in walking distance of my studio.

First stop:
Flower shop to order a plant to be sent to my friends in the states. The woman had made my flower crown for my commitment ceremony and I chatted about the event. She asked about my friend who picked it up saying how lovely she was.


Above is the bio store. Didn't buy anything here today, but yesterday I bought beans and oatmeal and chatted with owner Pedro, whom I often dance with at street dances.

Second stop

Elisabeth's for spinach, sweet potatoes, walnuts, apples, kakis, tomatoes--chatted with Elisabeth about what we both had been doing in the last couple of months while I was in Geneva.

Third stop






The butcher Michel's. We chatted about the pork medallions I wanted and he cut them to order. He gave advice on the sausage (that the butcher had made) I wanted, and found the right substitute for the Italian ham that they didn't have. Chatted with Stephanie of Barteveille who was waiting in line. The Restaurant always buys products fresh and locally.

At the cashier, I was given a 2, 5, 20 centime pieces in change. The man who had just made a delivery said he would be happy to take my change. I gave him the 2 centime piece. He looked shocked for a second than broke into laughter. "C'est bon," the butcher said.

This isn't really shopping. This is communicating with friends and neighbours while stocking my kitchen. It is also keeping the money in the local economy rather than give it to some multi national.

And the best part...the food is fresh, top quality and delicious.




No comments: