Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Adding spice to life

 A while back I read a story about an American married to an Indian whose husband added something hot to whatever he ate BEFORE tasting.

For years I had as a boyfriend who added salt to anything he ate BEFORE tasting. Now I admit I don't salt when I cook, but he always added salt before tasting no matter where he was and who cooked UNTIL I served him a meal to which I'd added two large handfuls of salt. (I did have a substitute meal ready for him.) 


Rick loves Schwartz, a spice he imports in large quantities. We've been joking that he adds it to everything...orange juice, milk, meat, potatoes, carrots, ice cream...maybe an exaggeration--but not much.

I love teasing him, but sooner or later I suspect that he will taste his food THEN reach for the Schwartz.

Schwartz has added a bit of spice to our life.

2 comments:

Rick Adams said...

A couple of items for the record:

1. The Schwartz spice is ostensibly a french fry seasoning which I purchase from a legendary hole-in-the-wall kosher deli near the theatre district in Montreal. http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/en/. You can order their spices online, but shipping to France is expensive so I just smuggle it in my luggage when I fly out of Canada (10 jars last trip). BTW, their 'smoked meat' is heavenly!

2. Contrary to D-L's allegation, I do not automatically add Schwartz BEFORE tasting something, though there are times when I get a hankering for Schwartz so I know in advance I will be applying it liberally - on frites (the rare times we have them), soup, spaghetti ... anything that can handle salt can handle Schwartz.

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

Ha, I enjoy this.. I shall enjoy watching you and Rick in the kitchen!