Friday, October 18, 2013

Hope chests

What made me think of a hope chest at 2 a.m. last night, I have no idea.


The old tradition was that a young woman would have a chest, preferably cedar-lined to store the linen and her trousseau in the hopes of marriage. The items in those days when things were used up before they were discarded were designed to last at a lifetime.

Many of my mother's friends had them at the bottom of their beds where they used to store blankets or window clothes.

I'm the probably the last generation where a hope chest played any part in the life of a young woman and even my generation was getting away from the idea, although adverts for Lane Hope chests still appeared in Seventeen Magazine among the pages and pages of advertising for the latest color lipstick and clothes.

One of my friend's boyfriend bought her one as a pre-engagement present.

The best known brand came from a Virginia company, started by John Lane. The company closed in 2001.

The ad is from 1945.

I never had a hope chest. In fact, I never had the little girl dream of being a wife, although the idea of having a beautiful wedding in the sense of one good party did flick through my imagination.

My early marriage came more from being head over heels in love or so I thought at that time. I never thought of being a wife in the sense of setting up a home. When my future sister-in-law asked what my kitchen colours would be so she could get an appropriate gift, I hadn't known I was suppose to think of colours.

None of my ineptitude as a traditional bride meant that I lacked hope...I only lacked the chest.

As I lay awake at 2 a.m. last night I thought wouldn't it be nice to have a different kind of hope chest, not the huge-store-blankets-and-winter-clothes-in kind, but a small box where I could write, preferably with my silver tipped plume pen in perfect calligraphy. What would I put in it? The list is not in order.

Personal hopes

Many years with Rick
A continuation of my wonderful friendships
My latest novel being accepted
My newsletter expanding
Health

Hopes for others in my life

My daughter being settled in ways that make her happy
My housemate's No 1 and No 2 sons being settled in ways that make them happy
The health and happiness of my friends

Hopes beyond my immediate circle

The safety of my friends in Syria
The end of hunger
The end of war

These are hopes of all sizes, but they would only require a very small box. It does not have to be cedar lined.



No comments: