Saturday, September 14, 2013

It's the little discoveries that make a day

Okay, so yesterday I had tons of writing to do, but it didn't stop me from enjoying a scone and tea with my housemate and because I was downtown and it was a beautiful fall-feeling day, it was also a good time to buy train tickets for Argelès.

Walking toward the station I passed the Bel-Aire trolley stop which took forever to build. Between the coming and goings of the trams and buses WAS an empty ugly concrete space, but not yesterday.

To celebrate 150 years of Genevan parks, the city created a mini park with grass couches that people decided to sit or lay down on. What fun it was watching people settle down, some to read, some to have their photo taken.



When I lived in Grand Saconnex, after a major thunderstorm that took out the top of a tree, a sculptor turned the remainder of the tree into a totem with an owl theme. 

My mother collected owls everything: cards, candles, figurines, carvings, etc.. Of course she'd died long before, but even the owl calling outside my bedroom window is a reminder of her, so the owl totem was almost her spirit intruding into my life.

On my way to meet  up with my housemate who had completed her errands as well as I had and hitch a ride home with her rather than wait for the bus, I passed a new totem, obviously done by the same artist probably from another tree felled by lightning. Love the juxtaposition of a Swiss artist with an American Indian art form.


Little discoveries, really make a good day even better.

No comments: