Sunday, September 01, 2013

For Rick


Rick and I've had many discussion on the need for paper in today's computerized world...(see his http://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.fr/2013/08/okay-i-have-to-admit-it.html blog). He's printed more paper in the three weeks since our wedding than I've printed out in the past two years if not in the last three years. My method of guarding information is:
  • Hard Drive
  • Pig shaped USB Key
  • Dropbox for me and the NSA
He'll love this photo of my Geneva bedroom. However, in my defense I only printed two sheets of all this paper myself.
 
The rest of the paper which was mailed to me is broken down into three piles from the foot of the bed to the top:
  1. Need to deal with such as ballot, insurance forms, bills, junk.
  2. Still to open
  3. Open and discarded
If I could get all my bills and info electronically I would. 

The pile to the left of my laptop is the manuscript for Murder in Ely, printed and edited by my wonderful housemate who sees things I don't in content, missing or unnecessary quote marks and unique spellings and verb tenses. And I will admit I can see some of these errors better on the printed page than the screen. I will run a ruler under a line and the mistake does tend to wave its little arm and legs as it calls "correct me, correct me."

By the end of the day the only paper left will be the manuscript and that will be gone by the end of the week when Rick comes back and a couple of documents needed for tax purposes. However, I know he'll be happy to see that every now and then paper does enter my life, but it almost always comes from an outside force beyond my control.

Neither of us are right and wrong in our methods, nor would we want to change each other (well maybe want a little even though I know its useless so I won't try).

However, I had to let him know that I'm not always paperless. It's only fair.

No comments: