Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Patriotic nails




Aug. 1 is the Swiss national day. We’ve been a democracy more or less since 1291, when the cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden united to defend the peace upon the death of Emperor Rudolf I of Habsburg. It makes us the world’s second oldest still existing democracy with Iceland beating us having formed their Althing in about 930. Granted the type of democracy isn’t much like modern day ones, but there were still democratic underpinnings.

I also love my bank teller where I have my business account. She’s always bubbly and helpful and never complains about how archaic it is to still have checks, and taps in the necessary numbers with a smile as we chat. She’s as pleased as I am that more and more of my clients are paying electronically, although that means I have less reason to go in.

My bank teller always has the most interesting nail decorations usually with a theme that includes things like Santa Clauses at Christmas, florals in the spring.

Today, her nails were all related to Switzerland to mark the national holiday. Alps, the flag, chocolate, etc. She happily let me take a photo.

I love my teller. I love my country.

No comments: