Saturday, June 22, 2013

I was an illegal immigrant

When I hear the anti-immigration rants, I have to remember I was once an illegal immigrant.

I stood up at a conference once that was discussing this issue, and announced I had been an illegal immigrant. It shocked people, because as a white, well-educated woman of a certain age I certainly don't look like one. My appearance helped, because my chance of being stopped by the police because of the colour of my skin or clothing was almost nil. I could be considered a tourist.

I wanted to change countries. My reasons were the same as any Mexican or African who risks their lives to find a way to better support themselves and their families.

Of course, I didn't come from poverty but I saw that if I moved to Europe I could have health care, reasonable working hours, better and more secure retirement and a decent vacation mandated by law. And I knew I'd be paying higher taxes, but when I did the math, financially I still came out ahead. I didn't use the maternity benefits or the cheap university fees (my daughter did study in Germany with a tuition that didn't go into three figures annually, however but that is another story).

Thus I moved to France illegally. I even worked illegally, with my salary going to friend who deducted the difference it would make in his taxes.

After time I found work and became legal in Switzerland and after 15 years became a citizen.

Compared to many immigrants in Mexico for example who can no longer earn a living on their farms because of NAFTA dumping cheap goods, I had it very easy. I never had to flee bullets and mines in a civil war. I could say that I was a privileged illegal immigrant by the accident of my birth.

Still I cringe when I hear how illegal immigrants are often abused, condemned for wanting a better life. I only wish governments would find a way to help them integrate into the societies where they want to spend their lives instead of harping on those that rob and cheat when they arrive. As always the majority suffer for a small, small minority.




No comments: