Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Too fond of books


Years ago a friend gave me this for my front door. She said it looked like me based on my big glasses (before my eye surgeries). We are both women who eat books. Never do we get together where a book isn't exchanged and our emails are filled with recommendations.

In ordinary times it is not unusual for me to read 2-3 books a week, but with all the workload lately and social life, my reading time is condensed.

I did just finish a French novel, but when I read French it is much, much slower. This one took almost a week. I often find myself reading each paragraph twice, but it does help my vocabulary.

And there's my newspaper reading on line in English and French which includes a dabbling into US, British, French, Swiss, Israeli papers and other papers in English when there's something happening in their part of the world. Although it is not reading, I try and check news stations from the Middle East, Russia, Japan, France, Britain, the US or whatever we can get. It is amazing the different perspectives. Sometimes I wonder if they are reporting the same story, and I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

Sitting near my bedside or in the bathroom (my ex-husband once answered when I knocked on the bathroom door, "One more chapter") which could be known as the Reading Room, there's a Kate Atkinson novel and a Oliver Stone book that is calling out loud, "finish me, finish me."

There's a couple of mysteries on my book shelf waiting for me.

My housemate wrote me about having a day in which she mainly read. I know under ordinary circumstances she is as busy as I am and that she is at the chalet having some downtime. However, I'm jealous.

Maybe, just maybe after I finish the next newsletter and get the first full draft of my next novel together, I'll take a day and do nothing but read. Hmmm...maybe the sign is right. My brain has become addled.



No comments: