Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tollund Man

I thought I knew the man on the bus. He wore a cap, had a beaked nose, a stubbly beard and high cheek bones. At the same time his dress and manner were not indicative of someone I would run into socially.

Then it hit me. In the 1950s National Geographic wrote about the Tollund Man, a male so well preserved that at first when his body was discovered, police thought they had a recent murder. He had been hung. Tollund Man has been carbon dated between 200-300 BC. The man on the bus, could have been the Tollund Man's identical twin.

As a child for weeks after reading the article, I had nightmares about the peatman coming to get me, but as a child, I was also convinced that King Kong was hovering outside my window ready to carry me to New York. It didn't take much for me to be scared in the dark.

Maybe I'll leave the night light on tonight just in case, Tollund Man comes back around 3 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man

No comments: