Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mini Mammie

The mammies in Argelès are older women, most of who have lived in the village all their lives. They have grandchildren, wear aprons, and meet on benches and in front of their houses and talk to each other.

My favourite mimi mammie is Jeanette, who stands at the most 4 foot 10, is skinny, always beautifully dressed (no apron there) white hair always in place and a big smile.

I see her walking all around the village and one day, she bought me a beer but first had to go to the ATM for cash.

We have wonderful conversations.

What makes this so exceptional. She's pushing 100.

Today on the way to the shops, I found her sitting on a bench, with the sun on her face. I sat down next to her.

"C'est magnificent, le soleil," she said.

She is as magnificent as the sun she was admiring.

No comments: