Monday, November 30, 2009

The Minaret Vote

As a Swiss who voted to allow the minarets, I am deeply disappointed in my chosen country. Saying that, I know the vote breakdown that people in cities who have more contact with foreigners voted as I did. They have less fear than those who live in villages with less foreign-contact who voted against. This division has long existed in the country. Swiss French are overall (not totally) more progressive than Swiss Germans (not totally). This has given rise to the phrase roesti curtain, which marks the number time of different votes depending on language.

At least we have a right to vote.

I was also unhappy that my fellow citizens voted to continue to export arms, but I am proud of their approving a new train connection and a tunnel.

I don't always agree with the way my fellow countrymen vote, but I approve that we vote on things that the citizens of other countries have to stand by and let the government decide.

Lastly, the UDC politically loves to play on fears and whip un Xenophobia and the Swiss like all other places sometimes fall for the ploy, making us no smarter than those in other countries.

Switzerland is made up of flawed humans as are all countries.

Still, I want to let all my Muslim friends know, we aren't all that narrow minded.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello DL,

I found your blog, and I find many of your postings insightful.

I am a dual national Swiss-American living in America, and I maintain my voting rights in Switzerland. I voted in favor of the initiative banning the building of minarettes. My family originates from an area near the border of St. Gallen and Appenzell, which is probably about as far behind the "Roesti Curtain" as one can get. However, it wasn't an easy vote for me and I knew it was an especially important issue. My main motivation for the way I voted, is to preserve Swiss culture, for which I have profound feelings -- not religious intolerance. The world misunderstands this and I'm not surprised by the reaction. Switzerland is too small to be a cultural melting pot like the USA. If it were, it would not exist in a generation or two.

I do agree with you though, that the right to vote in Switzerland is unlike anywhere else in the world, and much more powerful and informed. Here in America it's democracy by proxy, where we elect politicians and hope to heck that they may occasionally serve in our interests, but who all too often don't.

You apparently love Switzerland as much as I do. I respect the way you voted on all three issues.

The best!

Peter Schlumpf
pschlumpf@gmail.com

Merc said...

It seems there are 5 minarets in Switzerland. The one in Neuchatel was erected by Suchard of chocolate fame as a gift to his workers. More on that at
http://islamic-intelligence.blogspot.com/2009/12/fifth-minaret-in-switzerland.html

Best,
Merc