Saturday, August 01, 2009

Penguin - guin = pen


My penguin collection began by accident. It was a joke between my uncle and myself. To tease him about the heat in Florida I kept sending him anything with a penguin. I asked friends to look for penguins for me. Many started giving me penguin-themed gifts, the originality of which boggles the mind.

Last year I found a beautiful blown glass pen that writes beautifully. I couldn’t resist despite it being a no-buy year.

This year at the WOCCU silent auction I saw this silver engraved plume pen. I put in a bid. Someone bid over me. I watched it mount. Five minutes before the end when most people were in sessions, I went in and doubled the price. I figured if anyone bid higher than me, at least the money would go to a good cause (helping co-operative women leaders in developing countries). I won it.

I now have a collection of two beautiful pens and will be on the outlook for more ink pens, but I want to be very, very selective.

No comments: