Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A weekend of surprises

It was a weekend of surprises.

1. I was called up on stage after my friend's Indian Dance to be thanked for my part in helping with the writing of the 20 anniversary book of the school. I resisted walking across the stage with the Indian dance traditional high steps and hands folded in front of me. I was touched by the thoughtfulness of the head of the dance school, a woman I admire greatly. A couple of years ago I had written about her for a woman's news site.

2. I woke up Sunday morning AFTER the handball tournament I was supposed to attend started. I don't usually oversleep no matter how late I get to bed.

3. The sister-in-law of my host and hostess had the same birthday I did. This would not be surprising in a group of 50 or more but with five, well add it to the list.

4. The decision to go to Gruyere (yes of the famous cheese). I'd been well over 40 times (it is a great place to take friends in Switzerland for a short time to get the feel of the mountains) but not in the last six years.

5. Finding a Tibetan museum in Gruyere.

6. Eating a fondue WAS NOT A SURPRISE!!!! In fact going to Gruyere without eating at least of one of the follow -- fondue, raclette or meringues with double cream and/or raspberries, would be a surprise.


7. The best surprise was on the way home when my host pulled off the road and started down a path where he showed us the Pissing Cow (English translation) waterfall. The force of the water dampened our faces, the smell of the damp earth and the newly-leafed trees made a perfect ending to a perfect, albeit surprising) weekend.

No comments: