Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another Sunday Another Votation

When I dropped the latest ballot into the mailbox, I sighed in relief.

The ballot won’t be counted until next Sunday, but this time the explanation booklet that came with my ballot package only left me more confused. Even the listings in the back of how the many different political parties felt about the issue wasn’t much help. I reviewed all the publicity boards that are strategically placed throughout the town and discussed it with my housemate. Finally I felt confident enough to fill out the ballot, sign the signature card and drop it in the mail.

Some of the issues that most countries do not give citizens a chance to vote on:
1. Should insurance cover alternative medicine?
2. Should citizen juries give way to professional judges?
3. Should school children be given grades for deportment?
4. Should biometric passports be obligatory?

Being Swiss can be hard work, but I am so grateful for the opportunity.

No comments: