Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thanks Sher



Glory! Glory! One of my favourite bloggers posted a recipe for bagels on her website.
Whenever I fly into the US, visions of Dunkin Donuts stores that sell bagels dance in my head. If I go straight to my destination and pass a Dunkin Donuts and if we don't stop a frisson of sadness goes through me.
Edward's in Geneva serves imitation bagels, hard little things that only whet the appetite for the real thing. No where can I get DD cinnamon/rasin ones, my favourite.
Then Sher posted a bagel recipe on her blog, albeit a regular bagel.
With a little imagination I adapted the recipe to a C/R one yesterday and it worked. All the joys of bread making came back.
In Europe the bread is so good, the need to make it is non-existent and now that I'm not working in a corporation there is no need to knead the bread to release frustations, but the feeling of dough being slapped back and forth and as the gluten is released changes from sticky to smooth, brought back good memories of regular Saturday bread making back.
And the result... Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I took half to an American friend down the street. I was greeted as a conquering heroine...and with a big smile when I refused some of her stash, knowing that I had my own stock at home.
As I write this I have taken the last bite of one and there's still one for tomorrow.
Thank you Sher. (Her blogsite, Four go on an adventure is listed below with other bloggers I appreciate)

1 comment:

Esther said...

Yippee! I'm glad it worked. And good on you for spreading the bagel love! We're in full bread making mode Saturday mornings but for pizza dough.