Sunday, January 04, 2009

When People Know...


that one collects something, they find interesting gifts for the collection. I never set out to be a penguin collector. Years ago I had a running joke with an uncle in Florida who compared me with a penguin for living in the north. I asked for help in finding penguins to send him. Thus some people thought they were for me, and even after the uncle died, penguin gifts kept coming and a tradition was born.
Each year my daughter finds a special penguin or penguins. Some years it is easy...other years cause a bit of a trauma as December 25 comes nearer and she has not located the gift. This year's penguin slippers will be doubly appreciated when they make Argelés because the tile floors are cold and the slippers make for toasty feet even on the chilliest of morns.
Not all are present-presents. My housemate donated a penguin tissue box and is tucking penguin toilet paper into my suitcase for the trip to Argeles.
As for Munchkin, the slippers hold no interest unlike Domino and Mikado, the cats I met in New York. They stalked, them thinking perhaps they were intruders or pets that would compete for their mistress's affection.

No comments: