Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Streep blotches

Went to see Mamma Mia in English last night on the spur of the moment with my housemate last night, even though I had seen it in French the week before. The music was in English of course. Besides the announcement about smoking not being recommended at the end of the film making me laugh a second time, this time something hit me. It wasn't the music, the scenery, the comparison of the translation to the original but the fact that unlike almost all crying scenes, when Meryl Streep cries, her nose gets red and she blotches. There has to be a deity somewhere to let a director be this truthful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi;

I like your site and write a bit now that I have time.

I am not sure though that one of the virtues of a good performance is a red nose (granted, it might be ok in a christmas story about a reindeer) or blotches. I got those once but the doctor told me it was a reaction to stress. Never had them since thank god.

I will try to read all of your stuff. Your style aint bad and goes down easy (rare actually on blogs)

Cheers.

Garry.