Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer lush reward

As I get ready to go back down south for the next six weeks, I have my usual list of things to get done before I go: bank, library, post, pick up ticket for trip to Bern, reserve a place for a Christmas Market in Stuttgart in December, etc. etc. Each day I tick off a few, and as a reward after yesterday's rain, and this morning's efficiency, I decided to walk back from the next village through the vineyards and farms. Everything sparkled.
This patch of land with its veggies, flowers, manicured lawn and little cabin is like so many mini gardens throughout the country. People from the city come to grow their vegetables, but they often spend the day, have a picnic or whatever. Reminds me a bit of my Victory Garden on the Fenway a lifetime ago.
I would love to have a real garden (IF someone else tilled it) with tomatoes, carrots, raddishes, lettuce, flowers, brocoli, beans and even real corn like the kind produced in New England, but I am never in one place long enough to properly tend it.
Still the cherry tomatoes are ripe in our garden and if that and parsley are the only two crops, it is still a treat to pop either in my mouth.

No comments: