Friday, August 01, 2008

Happy Birthday Switzerland

Swiss flag nibbles, napkins and picks, grace the table for the Swiss national day.


Switzerland is 717 years old as of yesterday. We celebrated with an open house, although the guests were from more than Switzerland (France, America, Brazil, Italy, England and who knows where else if you count dual nationals.) Unfortunately rain dampened many of the celebrations, which include the commune offering everyone breakfast, having stands of local eats, and of course some of the traditional alpine horns. The rain stopped long enough to allow our neighbours to do a half hour firework display over the lake that riveled that of many communities.

But back to our private celebration. My housemate came up with the patriotic nibblies: tiny zweibach, tomato paste and gruyère cheese cut in crosses (not quite white as the flag, but good enough).

"I feel a blog coming on," I said and headed upstairs to get my camera.

"My housemate feels a blog coming on like some women feel hot flashes coming on," she called after me.

No comments: