Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The joke goes like this...

You know you’ve been in Switzerland too long when you think it is normal to only have one brand of items in the supermarket. It’s true. You buy Coke at Co-op and Pepsi at Migros.

When I discovered a copy of the Xenophobe’s Guide to the Swiss, written by a naturalized Brit, Paul Bilton, I realised that what I once I took as different is now normal.

No, you don’t shower after 10 p.m. if you live in an apartment building, everyone has a bomb shelter in their basement, yes you greet everyone when you enter a gathering or office and again when you leave at the end, you meet everyone’s eyes as you toast no matter how many are at the table. I know about “rubbish tourism” where citizens of a community without paid marked disposable garbage bags necessary for pick up, will drive their garbage to a nearby community.

His examples were given as an explanation and with fond humour. I appreciated his comment about the buses being so on-time that if they are two minutes later, people check the time schedule.

My Swiss friends think I am very American, my international friends sometimes chide me for becoming too Swiss, whatever that is. However, after living in four countries, I find I’m at home many places while being an outsider at the same time.

As I was thinking about the book waiting for the 14:02 bus, the clock said 14:03. For a minute I fought the temptation to stand up and check the schedule, then gave in as the bus came around the corner.

1 comment:

Sue Guiney said...

This is a great post! I love the part about being at home and an outsider at the same time!