Friday, July 18, 2008

Have a chocolate

"Have a chocolate," my GYN said. It was my first time in his office. I used to see him at the permanence, 24-hour low-equipped emergency rooms, where doctors also see regular patients. He is a Serbo-Croatian.
Only after offering the second chocolate did he ask about my latest diabetes check, and I teased him about the order, half in revenge for his lecture on the length of time from my last visit.
I also told him about my problems with E.Sophie Gus, and asked if he knew of a good nutritionist.
"Wait here," he said. A few minutes he returned with another doctor somewhere in his late 30s.
The new doctor delayed lunch to talk to me.
I am constantly amazed how many times I find what I need by accident.
I am in love.
This is a doctor who knows how corrupt the FDA is, how modern medicine often creates more problems, wants to make sure you have the right balance of minerals in your system, and will prescribe a medicine only after natural remedies are exhausted and then he has read the studies on what he prescribes.
Most doctors can not answer three simple questions about a medicine:
1. What were the results of the studies done?
2. Who paid for the studies?
3. What were the parameters.
He can and then can weigh the risks against the advantages.
He examined me and told me pretty close to percentages exactly what my diet was. How? muscle tone, hair, skin, etc.
He then gave me a diet to follow, not unlike the one I had read would be good for my problem, but more precise: red meat (yuck), fish, lots of vegetables, brown rice, fruits with the exception of melons and oranges. No vinegar, alcohol, grains, bread, pizza, etc. There goes my eggplant and basil pizza.
He has a regular M.D. and is a licensed internist, but he also has a speciality in quality of life for the aging (aren't we all), and natural medicine.
He said if we can keep Sophie happy, we might even get rid of my blood pressure medicine later on, since that could well be contributing to my esophagus problems.
He needs a mineral reading, wants to see my last blood work up, and will see me after I have been on the diet for a month or so.
As I said, I am in love, even if he didn't give me a chocolate.

1 comment:

Esther said...

My parents need a doctor like this now that the NHS has decided they've past their sellby date (83 and 78 years old but healthier and more active than most people I know)and are starting to cast them off.